What is the Indiana Accredited Horticulturist Program?
The Indiana Nursery and Landscape Association have developed the Indiana Accredited Horticulturist Program to provide a method of self-study and accreditation for individuals in the nursery industry. The goal of this certification and accreditation program is to develop knowledgeable, motivated, professional employees for the landscape nursery industry.
There are over 700 Indiana Accredited Horticulturists and over 125 Master Horticulturists. The success of the program and the upgrading of the personnel in the nursery industry are direct results of the emphasis the Indiana Nursery and Landscape Association have placed on education programs. You are encouraged to take advantage of this valued educational service of your association.
REGISTRATION FOR THE IAH EXAM: Please complete the IAH Certification Registration form on this page (below the pull down menus) and submit your registration fees to INLA. Please note: You must register and pay the fee in order to take the exam. If you do not wish to register on-line, click here to download a pdf version of the IAH application and mail it with your payment.
The IAH study material is now available by clicking on or copying and pasting the following link. hort.purdue.edu/iah/. All you need do is fill out the online training manual registration form and you will have access to view the most updated study material. If you decide to become certified, you must register and pay the enrollment fee, which you can access by scrolling below the pull down menus and complete the online application. If you prefer to study from a CD ROM, a CD ROM is included when you register and pay the enrollment fee (see online form below).
The IAH study material consists of basic information on plant growth and development, plant maintenance and pest control. Additional information covering turf establishment and maintenance, landscape plans and specifications, and soil characteristics has been included. The study material, which now includes fifteen chapters, have all been authored by college professors from Purdue and other universities. The latest additions include, Chapter 14, “The Garden Center Employee; Chapter 15, “Diagnosing Plant Health Problems” and a complete update of Chapter 9, “Ornamental Plant Pathogen Biology and Management.”
Once you have paid the enrollment fee, the individual will be eligible to take the examination to determine the level of mastery of the study of materials. A certificate and Indiana Accredited Horticulturist logo patch will be presented to those individuals who achieve a grade of 80% or more. An individual who passes the exam is recognized in the Indiana Nursery & Landscape News as an Indiana Accredited Horticulturist.
An Indiana Master Horticulturist program has been developed to recognize the Accredited Horticulturist who wants to continue his or her professional development in the industry. This program involves the further study of the IAH CD ROM and passing an essay exam with a grade of 90%.
The cost of the program is $95.00 for members of the Indiana Nursery and Landscape Association. Non-member rates are $145.00 per registration. The cost includes the CD ROM, test (one time), certificate, and one logo patch or pin for company uniforms.
You must register and pay the fee in order to take the exam. You can register online — see form below.If you do not wish to register on-line, click here to download a pdf version of the IAH application.
Need more info before you sign up, click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
There is a retest fee of $15.00 (member) and $25.00 (non-member). Prices subject to change without notice.
Chapter outlines courtesy of George Brenn, IAH Chair
Once you have become certified, it is your responsibility to maintain your certification and keep it current through continuing education. The INLA will update our “Active Status” list below periodically throughout the year.
Active Status: Check this list to review your recertification date and current CEU status. List includes Active and recently expired certifications. IAH Certified List (as of 3/15/18)
In-Active Status: If in-active this means your certification has expired. Please contact the INLA office at 800.443.7336 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Recertification – your recertification date is included on your most recent certificate.
• If you are due to recertify, you must complete the IAH CEU Recertification form CLICK HERE
• Mail the completed form with your payment of $25 (member) or $45 (non-member) to the INLA office by your recertification date. This MUST included seven (7) hours of continuing education over a two year period.
• If your certification has lapsed for less than two (2) years, you will not need to retest but must have seven (7) hours of continuing education within the lsat two (2) years.
• If you have attended INLA educational programs, we will have your information; however, you must list it on the CEU tracking / recertification form and include your recertification fee
• If you wish to attend non-INLA educational programming we require a Continuing Education Course Approval Application (click here) to be submitted at least 14 days prior to the program, proff of attendance/registration (see list of examples below).
• If your certification has lapsed for two (2) + years, you must retest. A retest fee of $50 will apply.
• If you have not received the new IAH CD ROM, this will be provided to you at no additional charge when you recertify. It will also be provided to all individuals yet to test. We are now utilizing Version 2 which includes chapter 14, The Garden Center Employee and the new Glossary. The exam covering this new material will be effective January 2011.
• After you recertify you will receive a new / current certificate, logo patch and logo sheet to use for marketing purposes along with the latest CD if not previously provided.
PLEASE KEEP YOUR CERTIFICATE AND ALL EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS YOU ATTEND IN A FILE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
Upcoming IAH Exams
February 20, 2019: IAH Review, Exam and Retest
Review: 8:00 am-10:00 am // Test: 10:00 am-12:00 pm
Location: Automatic Supply, 116 Shadowlawn Dr, Fishers, IN 46038
Additional information in Upcoming Events
March 13, 2019: IAH Exam
Location: Allen Landscape, 2539 45th St Highland, Lake County, Indiana
Additional information in Upcoming Events
REGISTRATION FOR ANY EXAM: Please complete the registration form on this page and submit your registration fees to INLA. You must register and pay the fee in order to take the exam.
Continuing Education – Approved Programs
Indiana Green Expo – January of each year
INLA Summer Meeting – July / August of each year
INLA Magazine – each issue features a quiz – earn a .5 credit per issue
The following organizations may offer approved programs. If so, they will have the appropriate sign in sheets submitted by the IAH Certification Chair.
Taltree Arboretum & Gardens, Valparaiso
Northwestern Indiana Nursery & Landscape Assn. Annual Meeting
Indianapolis Landscape Association Annual Education Meeting
Chicago Botanic Garden
Purdue Extension Educational Seminars related to horticulture
Indiana Arborists Association
Tree Care Industry Association
Indiana Urban Forestry Council
Midwest Regional Turf Foundation
ANLA Management Clinic
PLANET Educational Programs
Additional programs may be submitted for approval – contact Rick Haggard, email@example.com, 800-443-7336