Website Cardno Native Plant Nursery
Cardno Native Plant Nursery is looking for an experienced grower to lead our container production.
Our full-service native plant nursery, located in Walkerton, Indiana, can immediately provide native plant and seed material, from wetland and prairie seed mixes to the deep-rooted native plants critical for shoreline stabilization and erosion control. Our team can also perform contract growing or create a custom seed mix for your next native landscape project. We also provide natural coir bioengineering materials that can be pre-vegetated with appropriate native species to help advance ecological restoration and stabilization work.
Plant Production Manager
The Production Manager position is responsible for the management of container growing operations for the greenhouse facility in Walkerton Indiana. This person is also responsible for the proper care of the greenhouses, including the principles and practices of plant cultivation, propagation, and crop protection. This person is also responsible for direct management of the container production staff.
Responsibilities will include:
– Create and foster a safe working environment
– Proper care of the greenhouses, including the principles and practices of plant cultivation, propagation, and crop protection
– Inventory management and production schedules of our containerized stock.
– Provide guidance, direction and necessary training to all staff.
– Manage all container plant needs including irrigation, fertilizer, chemical, insect and disease management, and rotation timing.
– Strong desire to grow plants and work in greenhouse environment.
– Maintain open lines of communication with all the other nursery departments.
– Ordering supplies and materials for greenhouse operations.
– Willingness to experiment with specialized contract grows.
– Recruiting seasonal and full time production staff.
– Supervise and evaluate performance of production personnel.
– Analyze the production processes focusing on continuous improvement of quality, productivity, and cost-efficiency and employee satisfaction.
– 5 years of experience in green house production.
– Education in horticulture, botany, plant sciences, or similar curriculum is considered an asset
– Detail oriented with strong organizational and communication skills
– High level of motivation and initiative to solve problems, assume responsibility, meet deadlines, and accomplish objectives
– Physical demanding job, ability to life and carry up to 50 lbs.
– Dedication to quality products
– Computer skills – Excel, Outlook, and other Microsoft applications; previous inventory experience a plus
– Strong verbal and analytical skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
– Drug testing required
– Excellent organizational and leaderships skills;
– Cultivate a spirit of collaboration within our departments while helping to achieve objectives that support Cardno’s Mission and Vision
– Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards and set a positive example for crew members.
– Must have strong managerial experience and be able to work and lead a multitude of different personalities.
The ideal candidate is a passionate, quality and data-driven individual who embraces change and can drive growth
The successful Production Manager is responsible for achieving productivity, efficiency, cost, quality, safety, and organizational objectives through both individual and team contributions and provides direction, leadership, development, and support to direct reports through empowerment, teamwork, on-the-job assignments and continuous improvement initiatives.
Job Types: Full-time
– Greenhouse: 5 year (Preferred)
– Project Management: 2 year (Preferred)
To apply for this job please visit cardno.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.